Construction Calendar Multiple Construction Sites

Get your CiviCRM questions answered here!

Construction Calendar Multiple Construction Sites

Postby Pete Morsch » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:57 am

I am looking for advice/examples of how other affiliates manage their construction site information in Civi CRM and make it simple and clear on their Construction Calendars.

For example, we have 5 different homes going up currently in 5 different little towns, and we want to list opportunities for volunteers to build at any one of those construction sites on any given day;

This is more confusing to write than to talk through a real life example, but there has got to be a best practice for this. I think I’m getting a handle on things. I was confused about the Event Types and how they eventually relate to the Construction Calendar, but I think I have it now. All of my construction related events will now fall under a “Build Day!” event type, and each of my scattered construction sites will have an event template associated with it. So, my Woodville Site, my Spring Valley Site, and my River Falls Site will each have their own templates, but will all be considered build days, and thus will display nicely on the Construction Calendar.

So, folks can sign up on our website, and we'll mark them down on paper when they show up, then a volunteer will enter the actual volunteer hours contributed to the volunteer's contact record.

The big question is, with this setup - will I be able to track/report all of the volunteer hours contributed on a specific site for a specific period of time – as well as track/report volunteer hours contributed per site for any given period (i.e., how many folks built in Woodville last month? Last Quarter? For the whole build?). I need speedy access to that data for grant reports, and those of you who build Thrivent homes know that you need to track even more data than that (i.e., How many of last month's volunteers in Woodville were Lutherans? How many were Thrivent members?)

I would love input on how folks are tracking that.
Pete Morsch

Construction Calendar Listing & Event Naming Convention

Postby Vanessa » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Pete,

One suggestion I would make for the calendar is to edit how much appears on the calendar entry. That would give you more room for all 5 events on any given day.

You can do this by editing the view:

1. Navigate Site Building ->Views -> List.
  2. Click the Edit link for the Construction Calendar.
  3. Make sure that Defaults is selected on the left.
  4. Click the CiviCRM Events: Start Date link under Fields in the center of the view configuration.
  5. Scroll down and click the Remove button to remove that field from the calendar listing.

If you do this you gain more room on the calendar, but you'll probably want to include the time in the Event title as the time will no longer appear. If you remove the Registration Text Link you'll gain more room still. So that only the Event title will appear and it will be a link to the event.

Next, I'd do SOMETHING to make each Event title unique for searching/reporting purposes. When you are running your reports or searching and have 40 'Spring Valley Build Day' entries, you won't know which one you are searching for.

My suggestion would be to make the naming convention more like:

• 020712 - 8am: Spring Valley
  • 021512 - 10am: Spring Valley
  • 022912 - 7am: Spring Valley

Then when you are searching or filtering in a report, you will have a better idea of what event you're looking at.

Anyone else want to chime in??

FYI to everyone that the Volunteer Tracking User Guide entry is now available: https://www.gingerfeet.net/civicrm-track-volunteers.

Cheers!
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Re: Construction Calendar Multiple Construction Sites

Postby Pete Morsch » Thu May 24, 2012 6:50 am

I actually just revisited this again, vanessa. When I remove the Start Date from the fields box, I get this nasty pink warning box down at the bottom of the page that says: "The date argument date fields must be added to this query. You can exclude them if you do not want them displayed in the calendar." Which is a bummer - you'd think that the calender would decide what shows up on the calendar by filtering all the events through the "Filters" box, and then chooses what to display on the site using the "Fields" box - but this message seems to be saying that that is not the case - it's highly illogical, as Spock might say.

What gives? I would like to remove the Start Date from the display (because what the heck - the end user is looking at a freakin' calendar - they know what day the event is happening!) and, as you suggest, it'd keep it cleaner.

Please advise, meantime I'll look into the volunteer tracking user guide. Good advice, and many thanks!
Pete Morsch

Postby Pete Morsch » Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 am

Oh, and forgot to mention - after I get that nasty pink error message, it won't let me save changes - so the start date continues to show up on the front end.
Pete Morsch

Postby Madelynn » Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 am

Pete,

You do not want to remove the Start Date field, you just want to exclude it from display.

1. Click on the Start Date field in the Fields list of the View
2. Checkmark Exclude from Display
3. Save the field modifications
4. Save the whole view

btw: I just did this for you.

Madelynn
Madelynn
Site Admin

Postby Pete Morsch » Thu May 24, 2012 9:15 am

aw, madelynn. is this your way of rewarding me for actually posting something to the danged forums? if so, i'll keep it up!

You're the best!
Pete Morsch

Return to CiviCRM How To