Event Pages / Adding a logo to an event page

Get your CiviCRM questions answered here!

Event Pages / Adding a logo to an event page

Postby Tom Mesko » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Is it possible to insert a logo onto an event page within CiviCRM? I would like to up load our golf tournament logo onto that page but when I go to insert it I do not see the IMCE button.

Thank you for all of your help.
Tom Mesko

No IMCE Button in CiviCRM

Postby Vanessa » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, CiviCRM does not have a native upload utility and at this time, CiviCRM does not recognize the IMCE option within CKEditor.

Consequently, you'll need to:

1) Upload the file on the Drupal side (any page in edit mode will do)
2) Go to CiviCRM -> Manage Events -> Configure -> Info & Settings for the Event you wish to edit in CiviCRM
3) In the Complete Description field, place your cursor where you want the image (I know, I know...these are all obvious steps here!)
4) Click the Image button on the CKEditor toolbar
5) Enter the path to the file*
6) Add the Alternative Text (put in meaningful keywords as this is used by, and required by, search engines)

For consistency, make sure you put your image files into the /images/ folder and your pdf (or non-image) files into the /files/.

*PATHS

The path to use for IMAGES in CiviCRM is:

/sites/YOURDOMAINNAME/files/images/XXX.jpg

The path to use for OTHER FILES in CiviCRM is:

/sites/YOURDOMAINNAME/files/files/XXX.pdf

For now, YOURDOMAINNAME is gcc.gfdevel.com. So the path to say "donations.jpg" would be:

/sites/gcc.gfdevel.com/files/images/donations.jpg

After the domain transfers it will be www.habitatgcc.org.
[NOTE: You don't have to worry about using the devel URL at this time then having to change it once the DNS transfers. When we transfer the DNS we do a search and replace on any instances of gcc.gfdevel.com. So it's taken care of for you.]

ANOTHER NOTE: Make sure that your filenames (images or otherwise) DO NOT include spaces. Spaces in filenames on the internet open up vulnerabilities. Please use underscores "_" or hyphens "-" to separate out words.

Let us know if all this makes sense.
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Re: Event Pages

Postby kbernard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Vanessa,
I am not sure I followed your explanation fully here,but am having a similar need. I just created our annual Golf Event and copied an image for the poster into my CIVICRM event and I think it worked, but now reading your explanation it sounds like maybe it didn't. Additionally, I would like to make a horizontal clickable link image at the top of my homepage siting the Golf Event taking viewers directly to the Register Link. Thanks for your help!
Kassi
kbernard

Postby Vanessa » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi Kassi (thanks for posting!),

First, a way you can tell immediately if the path is correct is if you can see the image in the Complete Description text area field on the Event Info and Settings page. If you see a broken image, then you don't have the correct path.

I logged onto your site and took a look at the event info and settings page (Btw, you should set this puppy up as an event template, then next year you just select the template!).

I can see that the image is a broken image icon. When I select it and click on the Image button in the toolbar, I see that the URL is: webkit-fake-url://5ABA4DC1-4EB1-4A86-ABEB-D26594D01C55/mail.jpg.

It should actually be: /sites/www.habitatwpm.org/files/images/mail.jpg.

You'll need to go into edit mode on any page of the website to UPLOAD the file (i.e., the home page or wherever - on the Drupal side of things), then modify the path in the image dialog box in CiviCRM.

Something like this:

1) Go to your home page (logged in of course)
2) Click on the Edit button
3) Click on the IMCE button
4) Upload the file to the /images/ folder
5) Once the file is uploaded, just close the IMCE dialog box
6) Navigate over to your event in CiviCRM (CiviCRM -> Events -> Manage Events -> Info and Settings)
7) Click the broken link icon in text area field
8) Click the Image link
9) Change the path from webkit-fake-url://5ABA4DC1-4EB1-4A86-ABEB-D26594D01C55/mail.jpg to /sites/www.habitatwpm.org/files/images/mail.jpg
10) If you move your cursor to the Alternate Text you'll see whether the path is correct because the image will show up in the Preview

How's that?
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Vanessa » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Oops!

And here's how you create the clickable link on the home page:

1) Upload the image
2) Insert the image into the page
3) Select the image
4) Click the Link icon on the toolbar (a little earth with a chain)
5) Enter the path to the Register page (http://www.habitatwpm.org/civicrm/event ... et=1&id=28)
6) Click OK and you should be good to go!

Let me know if this works for you.
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Vanessa » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Btw, you can find the URL for your event registration page:

1) Go to Event -> Manage Events
2) Click on Event Links on the left-hand side of your event
3) Select Registration (Live)
4) Copy the URL from the address bar of your browser

Cheers!
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby kbernard » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 am

Okay, I got lost around number 8, because the image link isn't really named that once uploaded and then for some odd reason my browser doesn't cut and paste from Drupal to CIVCRM, but after some trial and error I think I did it! I am awaiting a new image to change the Home page so I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks! Kassi
kbernard

Postby Vanessa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Ho, ho!

I just checked the event and yuppers! You did it!

Not sure about the changing of the Image icon...but it works and that's what counts!

Thanks, Kassi.
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby kbernard » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Okay, I posted my header with link on the home page. I do believe it works. On a separate note, I also sent a Mass mailing for the Event but when I sent a test email I noticed that in the footer that automatically loads there is a typo. There is a Winter "Part" that should read Winter Park. How can I change it?
kbernard

Postby Vanessa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi K,

GREAT JOB! The image looks terrific and goes exactly where you want it to go! Bravo!

As for the typo in the footer of the mailing: there are two places you can look for this.

1) You might find this stored in the message footer template, or
2) You might find it in the Domain Information global setting.

1. Go to Mailings -> Headers, Footers, and Automated Messages
  2. Click Edit for the Mailing Footer.
  3. Check both the Plain Text and HTML versions of the footer for the typo.
  4. If you find the typo and fix, click the Save button
  5. NOW.... if you don't find the typo there, go to Administer -> Configure -> Domain Information
  6. Check the Domain Name field.
  7. Edit, if necessary, and click the Save button.

One or the other should do it!
Cheers!
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Return to CiviCRM How To