Volunteer Information & Skills Form

Get your CiviCRM questions answered here!

Volunteer Information & Skills Form

Postby Deb McGinley » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 am

We would like to include a note to these volunteers . . .

-- Now that you've SIGNED UP to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Centre County you'll want to REGISTER to work. Go to Volunteer > Volunteer/Construction Calendar, then click on date/time you'd like to work and fill out the form. Only dates/times in yellow are available for registering.--

Apparently it's not clear on the website that they have to REGISTER to work.

What message do they get upon completion of the Information & Skills Form? Is this an email or message shown somewhere else? Does Gingerfeet have to make these changes or can we do it ourselves?
Deb McGinley

Re: Volunteer Information & Skills Form

Postby Vanessa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Deb,

Excellent question, My Dear! Excellent question!

OK. Yes. This is definitely something that you can control and edit. But unlike a contribution page or an event page--where you have fields for entering confirmation page copy--this form is a profile, so its thank you page is auto-generated by CiviCRM to simply say "Thank you, your information has been saved."

To customize the thank you, you create a new page in Drupal (called something like Volunteer Form Thank You - or whatever makes sense to you, of course) and then include a link to that page in the profile settings as a redirect.

Here are the steps:
  1. Create the thank you page in Drupal with whatever instructions or links you want to include. (Do you need help with this? I'm going to assume not, but let me know if you do.)
  2. Give the page a friendly URL (i.e., enter 'volunteer_form_thank_you' in the URL Path Settings for the page. BTW, if we haven't mentioned this, Conrad is asking that we all name pages and files with underscores rather than hyphens - it's a server-dude, security thing, I guess. ;) ) and save it. You don't have to worry about putting anywhere in the menu structure on the website, because it will only be used by CiviCRM.
  3. Once you've saved the page, highlight and copy the URL in your browser address bar. (It will look something like: http://www.habitatgcc.org/volunteer_form_thank_you - or whatever you entered for the URL path setting.)
  4. Navigate to CiviCRM -> Administer -> Customize -> CiviCRM Profile.
  5. Click the Settings link for Volunteer & Skills Form.
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click to open the Advanced field set.
  7. Paste the URL for the thank you page in the Redirect URL field.
  8. Click the Save button.

Your users will now see this page when they complete the Volunteer Skills & Information Form.

Groovy?
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Deb McGinley » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:49 am

I followed the instructions Vanessa. But how can I "test" this without filling out the Volunteer Form as a Jane Doe?
Deb McGinley

Postby Vanessa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:41 am

Hi Deb,

Well, one way or the other you'll have to test through the site as the profile forms for Volunteers and homeowners don't have testing options built in like the contributions and the events do.

If you'd rather not have to delete a dummy contact record, I'd fill it our for yourself. Are you already in the volunteer group? If not, then you'd get the email saying you're being subscribed to the mailing list (which you can always remove yourself from) and if you are, Civi will simply update your record with whatever you've entered on the form that's different from your current contact record. Since you only are required to enter your First Name, Last Name, Email address & age, that's all I'd fill in. All you want to see is the thanks page, so this is an easy way of testing where you're not cluttering the database and then having to delete something.

I'll test right now too--with my information.
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Vanessa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 am

Hmmm...well, got a non-recoverable error. I'll see what's what...
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Vanessa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am

The error reads: Could not find valid value for gid

Which is telling me that the browser isn't seeing the ID for something. Logging in now to take a closer look.
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Vanessa » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 am

Hi Deb,

OK. Things are working fine now. There were a couple of things:

1. The URL path name that you gave the new page used an ampersand (&) and spaces (between Thank and You) - neither of which browsers function very well with. I changed the URL path name to: Volunteer_Information_Skills_Form_Thank_You
  2. The second item - and the one that was really causing the problem - has to do with the path as we both were entering it in the profile settings.

Here's the skinny: When a user fills out a CiviCRM form on your website (i.e., volunteer, homeowner, event contribution) the path actually becomes http://www.habitatgcc.org/civicrm/..... So by us entering just the new page name in the profile settings Redirect URL field, CiviCRM was trying to find that form name in its bank of forms. I.e., the path was http://www.habitatgcc.org/civicrm/profi ... _Thank_You, hence the "Could not find valid gid" error.

I enter the FULL path to the new page in that Redirect URL field (http://www.habitatgcc.org/Volunteer_Inf ... _Thank_You) and now everything is resolving properly!

Does this make sense?
Best,
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Deb McGinley » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 am

As long as it's working, it's fine by me. Thanks Vanessa.
Deb McGinley

Postby Vanessa » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 am

No problemo, M'dear.
Vanessa
Site Admin

Return to CiviCRM How To