Volunteer Hours / logging

Get your CiviCRM questions answered here!

Volunteer Hours / logging

Postby Deb McGinley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:59 am

Effective July 1, 2011, we will be using CiviCRM solely as our database.

How do we set up a page for our "Lobby Volunteer" to enter Volunteer Hours from our Worksite Sign-In Sheets and create reports? Volunteers sign up via the Construction Calendar but not always because of other areas for Volunteer Hours, i.e. Office, ReStore, etc. This was discussed earlier but I can't locate the outcome.

Deb McGinley
HFHGCC
Deb McGinley

Re: Volunteer Hours: Allow a Volunteer to Access CiviCRM

Postby Vanessa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi Deb,

This is where you will employ CiviCRM Access Controls to give permission to the user (via their inclusion in a CiviCRM Group). The instructions with screenshots are here: http://www.gingerfeet.net/civicrm_access_control_lists. (There is also a forum post to Tom from a while back, but the User Guide has the screenshots.)

There are a number of steps to the process, so let's keep talking via this thread as you work through (Only if you need help. I may have so brilliantly written the instructions that all will be right with the world from the get-go!! :D ).

As for the reports: you will want to create corresponding event types for each type of volunteering (or any type of event that you want to be able to track separately in the reports).

On Sunday, we will be rolling out the multiple calendar functionality – whoohooo! – so I'll be adding a ReStore event type and can include one for Office as well. With this functionality you'll be handling your events a bit differently (i.e., all events will become public because you'll have a construction calendar, a ReStore calendar and an events calendar). I'll be including instructions on Sunday once the transition is complete.

Help?
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Re: Volunteer Hours

Postby awillis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:19 am

I have a question regarding logging volunteer hours.

Up to this point, we haven't been logging office volunteer hours. We would like to do that now, and there are quite a few hours that need to be documented; but it seems I am unable to log hours without an actual "Office Hours" event. Since we have office volunteers every day, it seems rather time consuming to create a separate event for every single calendar day. Is there a better way to log these hours (e.g. Have a log function for each user) or place this event on the calendar (create a feature enabling users to label an event as recurring)?

Thanks for your help!

Abrielle Willis
awillis@habitatsusq.org
awillis

Postby awillis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 am

Hello,

I also have a question regarding volunteer hours. We haven't regularly logged office volunteer hours and we wish to do so now. The only problem is - there are an awful lot of hours (months worth) to enter into Gingerfeet. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to enter the logged hours without creating an "Office Hours" event for each calendar day, a task which is rather time consuming. Is there a way to a) Create a feature that will allow administrators to enter hours into an individual volunteer's log without creating an event for each calendar day and assigning volunteers to those events or b) Create an event once and automatically mark it as recurring?
awillis

Postby Vanessa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi Abrielle,

Taking each question in turn (although Monday's is last!):

Is there a way to a) Create a feature that will allow administrators to enter hours into an individual volunteer's log without creating an event for each calendar day and assigning volunteers to those events?

You can create a custom data set associated with Individual contact records that contains the fields you want to track (if you're going to use the same type of fields as the GingerFeet-built Volunteer Hours custom data you'll have to give the fields another name as CiviCRM won't allow you to save two fields with the same name). You could even create an individual contact sub-type called 'Office Volunteer' and associate the data specifically to that sub-type.

Note that you will NOT be able to track this data via the Reports. You will have to create Search Profiles and run the Advanced search to find this information.

For help on custom data and profiles, see:

http://www.gingerfeet.net/civicrm-userguide-customdatafields
http://www.gingerfeet.net/civicrm-userguide-profiles
http://en.flossmanuals.net/civicrm/ch011_extending-core-data/
http://en.flossmanuals.net/civicrm/ch012_profiles/
http://forum.gingerfeet.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72&p=205&hilit=custom+data#p187

Is there a way to b) Create an event once and automatically mark it as recurring?

Currently, there is no way in CiviCRM to create recurring events. We have recently discovered a Drupal module which is supposed to allow for recurring events with CiviCRM. We have to research and test this module to insure 1) that it works and 2) that it will work with the GingerFeet internal structure. If it does, we will implement it and add it to the service. Let's hope it works!

Your questions from Monday's post:

Is there a better way to log these hours (e.g. Have a log function for each user)?

See my comments above about custom data for the individual contact records.

Or place this event on the calendar (create a feature enabling users to label an event as recurring)?

If you create a custom data set for logging the volunteer hours with the individual records, you could include a field for recurring – I.e, a yes/no field. You would then create a Profile to house just this field and expose it in the Event through the Include Profiles section on the Online Registration page of the Event configuration.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby awillis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:51 am

In reference to running reports:

Are you able to develop a feature in the near future that will allow us to run a report of volunteer hours based on the custom data field I just created (Volunteer Hours Log)?
awillis

Postby awillis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:27 am

One more question:

When I create a custom data set for volunteer hours, and mark it to allow for multiple records, each record is displayed under its own tab. This is bulky, especially when you have many, many records. Is there a way to make the entries appear as a list or table instead?
awillis

Postby Vanessa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi Abrielle,

To answer:

In reference to running reports:

Are you able to develop a feature in the near future that will allow us to run a report of volunteer hours based on the custom data field I just created (Volunteer Hours Log)?

1. In looking at your custom data, you've created a custom data field SET, but no custom data fields yet? You will need to create the fields that house the information you want to track. Or am I missing something? :-)
  2. Since this custom data is specific to Susquehanna and not a part of our volunteer data, we'd need to give you a bid for creating a report specifically for your needs. You could submit a Feature Request, but

One more question:

When I create a custom data set for volunteer hours, and mark it to allow for multiple records, each record is displayed under its own tab. This is bulky, especially when you have many, many records. Is there a way to make the entries appear as a list or table instead?

Unfortunately, no. This is currently a limitation of CiviCRM.
Vanessa
Site Admin

Return to CiviCRM How To