EVENT REGISTRATIONS VIA CIVICRM

Get your CiviCRM questions answered here!

EVENT REGISTRATIONS VIA CIVICRM

Postby Deb McGinley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:14 am

I've entered a registration and payment of our 2011 Bricks & Sticks Golf Tournament for America's Carpet Outlet. They paid $1100.00 for Silver Sponsorship and $80.00 for Supetickets (4 @ $20 each) for a total of $1180.00.

The CiviCRM registration page does not include information for the contact person or the golfers, including handicap.

Also need to include in the confirmation email the "registrant's" information, name, address, phone, etc. I'm copied on these registration confirmations but don't know who they're for unless I know the email address to which the confirmation was sent or who registered.

Deb McGinley
HFHGCC
Deb McGinley

Re: EVENT REGISTRATIONS VIA CIVICRM

Postby Conrad » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi Deb,

The public facing CiviCRM registration page that you have for your golf tournament does have both name and handicap for each participant. When a registrant puts in the number in their party, additional pages appear that allow the registrant to fill in the names of each member in their party and to assign a handicap for each participant. As long as they follow directions, it all works.

To see the participants, run a report.

Reports -> Event Participant Report (Listing)

Under 'Report Criteria' you can set the columns that you want to display in the report. You can display default information such as: Name, City, Fee, Email, etc. You can also display custom fields. Of course, the fields have to exist, and you have to have collected information. The custom fields are in collapsed field sets, which you can expand. After expanding, you can select them for inclusion in the report.

In your case, you have a custom data set 'Golf Team Members' with a custom 'Handicap' field. It exists. It is collecting information.

One problem is that your custom data (Handicap) is not available in the 'Event Participant Report (Listing)'. To fix that you need to go to:

Administer -> Customize -> Custom Data

• Find the data set,
  • click 'View and Edit Custom Fields',
  • click 'Edit Field' for the appropriate field,
  • and make sure that 'Is this Field Searchable?' is checked.

Once 'Is this Field Searchable?' is checked, the custom data becomes available to the report.

Now you can customize the report to show everything that you need to see, with all participants in one place.

Note: under 'Set Filters' it may be a good idea to select every 'Participant Status' and every 'Participant Role'.
Note: you can create and save custom reports (Create Reports from Templates). http://www.gingerfeet.net/civicrm-userguide-reporting

Cheers,
Conrad
Conrad
Site Admin

Postby Deb McGinley » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:33 am

Is there a way for HFHGCC to register golf participants on the backside (CiviCRM)? We find in trying to do this it only allows us to enter one person's handicap but no name. We also want to be able to see who entered the record (Offline registration:Deborah McGinley or Tom Mesko, etc.).

Bottom line is that we'd like to be able to enter event registrations ourselves via CiviCRM and include all the information required on the Drupal side registration form.

Also, the Registration Form on the website includes "Team Name" but doesn't allow us to enter text. The "Team Name" should probably be moved to the screen where they actually register the team. Does this make sense?

Deb McGinley
HFHGCC
Deb McGinley

Postby Conrad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi Deb,

I worked on this with Vanessa. Trying to figure things out.

If you go to:
Administer -> Customize -> Custom Data

You come to a page with some columns titled:
Set | Enabled? | Used For | Type | Order | Style

Set = A name for a set of custom data fields
Enabled? = Is it enabled? (yes) or disabled? (no)
Used For = Individuals, Participants, Events, etc.
Type = Any, Volunteer, Fundraiser, etc.
Order = The order in which they display on a contact record
Style = Inline or Tab (how they display on a contact record)

'Used For' and 'Type' are important.

When you are setting up data sets and custom fields, you need to think about how they are going to be accessed.

(Don't use sets to hold a single piece of information, use sets to group fields. On your 'Custom Data' page you have a set 'Golf Team Members' and a set 'Team Name'. Each set holds one field, 'Golf Team Members/Participant Handicap' and 'Team Name/Team Name'.)

You want to have information about your golf tournament. And you want it to be displayed when you look at a participant registration. So everything that you want to show up on the participant registration should be in the same field set. And the 'Used For' column should show 'Participant' because that is who you are dealing with, participants.

For example:

Golfers (a data set)
  • Handicap (a field held in Golfers)
  • Team Name (another field in Golfers)
  • Caddy Name (another field in Golfers)
  • Golf Ball Brand (another field in Golfers)

With this layout, your 'Used For' will bring up all the information that you need when you look at/edit the event participant listing. Your 'Team Name' will show up right next to Handicap.

You also want to know who does a back end entry. This information is not specific to the golf tournament. It is information that should be available to any of your events. It should go in another set. And that set should be made available to every type of participant, not just golf tournament attendees. So you can record admin info for any event: golf tournament, motorcycle ride, 10k run.

For example:

Administration of Participants (a data set)
  • Entered by (a field in set)
  • Date of Entry (another field in set)
  • Edited by (another field)
  • Date of Edit (and another)

The admin of participants should show up in its own collapsed fieldset when you go to edit a participant record.

OK, I'm starting to understand this better helping you move towards a cleaner setup...

Conrad
Conrad
Site Admin

Postby Deb McGinley » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 am

We're getting there . . .

I reconfigured Bricks & Sticks to include Custom Data Set for Golf Team Members, fields for Golfer Handicap and Business/Team Name. However, this information only shows on the initial Registration Form screen and is not shown for additional participants. How do we correct this?

Although you say that upon entering Team Name that it will show beside the Handicap, I haven't seen it. What else do we have to do for this to show on the Participant Report?

Deb McGinley
HFHGCC
Deb McGinley

Postby Conrad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Deb McGinley wrote:
Although you say that upon entering Team Name that it will show beside the Handicap, I haven't seen it. What else do we have to do for this to show on the Participant Report?

I'll start by answering this section.

Under: Administer -> Customize -> Custom Data

you have set up a custom data set "Golf Team Members".

This information can now be used/accessed/viewed in different places. For example it can:
  • Be placed in a form that is a web page used to gather info
  • If 'Used For' is set to 'Individual' you can view the info when you look at the contact record
  • If 'Used For' is set to 'Participant' the info will not appear in the individual's contact record (it appears in the 'View Participant')
  • And you can generate a report that uses custom data

Your custom data is set to: 'Used For' = 'Participant'. To see a participant's custom data you must find the participant:

1. Go to: Events -> Find Participants
  2. Notice that you can search by all of your custom data on this page
  3. Put in appropriate search criteria and click 'Search' (I put the first few letters of the event into the 'Event name' field and it completed for me)
  4. In the results page click the 'View' link
  5. You now have a page that has a collapsed field set holding your custom data

Well, you should have. If you don't, what could have gone wrong?

Custom Data is only available if the record is set to the correct type. On your Administer -> Customize -> Custom data page, for your 'Gold Team Members' data set, you have the 'Type' set to 'Golf Tournament Attendee'. On your result page above, clicking the 'View' link will only show results if the 'Role' column shows 'Golf Tournament Attendee'. You are going to have to set all of your participants to the same role. You only have 4 on the correct role.

Once you get the custom data to show up for your participants, you are ready to get it to display in a report.

To get custom data to display in a report, you must create a report from a template. In that process, all your custom data becomes available. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59

Cheers,
Conrad
Conrad
Site Admin

Postby Conrad » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 am

Deb McGinley wrote:I reconfigured Bricks & Sticks to include Custom Data Set for Golf Team Members, fields for Golfer Handicap and Business/Team Name. However, this information only shows on the initial Registration Form screen and is not shown for additional participants. How do we correct this?

OK, now I'm answering how to get custom data to appear on a 'Registration Form' that an anonymous web surfer can fill in.

Say that you wanted to remove a field from your 'Registration Form'. Here's how you would do that:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2

And if you want to add fields to a form, here's how you would do that:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4

Keep these 2 ideas separate:
  • Custom data sets/Custom data (fields within Custom data sets)
  • Custom Profiles (showing custom fields in forms)

Custom data sets/Custom data = these are the different boxes, drawers, and shelves that you are going to use to store your info. It is one process to set them up. Try to give them names that make sense.

Custom Profiles = these allow you to present finely tuned sets of Custom data in a form. I want my anonymous web surfer to supply info that goes into box 1 & 7, drawer 21, and shelves 9 &14. Setting up Profiles is a completely different process, using different administration pages.

1. First set up your Custom data, test it, make sure it works
  2. Next build your profiles to display the data (Administer -> Customize -> Custom Profile)

Cheers,
Conrad
Conrad
Site Admin

Postby Deb McGinley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:56 am

Occasionally someone will register for an event (work site) but the form only asks for email. We can't figure out how to get the form to include first and last name. For now, we're including a note on the confirmation page for the volunteer to fill out the Information & Skills Form.

If a participant is not in our database, is there some way we can force them to fill out the Information & Skills Form?

Deb McGinley
Office Manager
HFH of Greater Centre County
Bellefonte, PA
Deb McGinley

Collecting Name & Address on Events or Contributions

Postby Vanessa » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 am

Hi Deb,

This is actually a simple solution - yay!!

On the event registration configuration page (Navigate Events -> Manage Events -> Configure -> Online Registration), scroll about halfway down to the Include Profile section.

Here, you'll be able to select two different profiles (if needed) for the primary registrant and either keep the same profiles for each additional registrant (leave the setting of Same as Main Contact) or even have different profiles for each additional registrant if that's applicable.

You can include either the Contact Information profile (First Name, Last Name, Address, etc.) or the New Individual profile, but they both duplicates the Email field. I'd create a profile called Full Name or Name & Address that doesn't include the Email field. Otherwise they'd be duplicating that information unnecessarily.

(NOTE: In CiviCRM, the ONLY field that either a contribution page or event page will contain if you don't include a profile is the Email field.)

Make sense?

Cheers!
Vanessa
Vanessa
Site Admin

Postby Deb McGinley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:00 am

Why can't I add "Team Name" as a profile to my HouseWalk 2012 Online Registration page? It's a Profile but isn't available for this event.

Deb McGinley, Office Manager
HFH of Greater Centre County
Bellefonte, PA
Deb McGinley

Next

Return to CiviCRM How To