Volunteer Calendar / only show to approved volunteers

Get your CiviCRM questions answered here!

Volunteer Calendar / only show to approved volunteers

Postby awillis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:48 am

Vanessa,

We want to make it so that volunteers cannot access the construction calendar UNLESS they have completed the information and skills form, online safety training and waiver of liability. Right now, anyone can skip these steps and just register for a build. This is putting us at significant risk. How can I go about restricting access to the construction calendar?

Abrielle Willis
Habitat for Humanity Susquehanna
awillis

Re: Volunteer Calendar

Postby Madelynn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 am

Hello Abrielle,

Although there is a simple way to hide the Construction Calendar, there are several steps you'll need to implement to make it easy for your volunteers to sign up once they complete the Liability Waiver and Safety Training. Here's a sample suggestion:

1. When a user fills in the Volunteer & Skills Information Form, direct them to your Liability Waiver. This Redirect URL is set on the profile form within CiviCRM under Settings.

2. Since your Liability Waiver is another profile form within CiviCRM, set the Redirect URL in that form to your Safety Training page upon completion.

3. Hide your Construction Calendar. We will do this for you. This is accomplished in the View. Views are tricky and you can destroy functionality on your site if you mess up! We will set your Construction Calendar to only be viewable to users with the assigned Volunteer role or higher.

4. You will need to allow your volunteers to sign up for a Drupal account. In your Drupal User Administration, you choose to allow users to set up Drupal accounts but are not active until approved by an administrator. Once you determine your volunteer has completed the Liability Waiver and Safety Training, you activate their Drupal account and give them the Volunteer role access. Your approved volunteers will now be able to access the Construction Calendar.

Your particular situation is rather complex. I will email you directly. But this post will help anyone else looking to create the same scenario!

Madelynn
Madelynn
Site Admin

Postby awillis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Okay. So I did that. There is now a user name function on Drupal, restricting access to the calendar to only the users whom I approve.

However, this has created a significant amount of work on my end. Because their Drupal user names are not connected to their information in the database, I have to manually search for each user in the database, check their waiver and safety training by, and then grant access. This is cumbersome and takes time.

Is there a way to manipulate the code and cookies in such a way that each user is granted or denied access based on their waiver and training status as indicated in the database? For example, say Joe Schmoe's individual profile indicates that a waiver has not been signed. Joe Schmoe cannot access the calendar. BUT, Jane Doe's individual profile in CiviCRM has both the waiver and the safety training marked as completed, so Jane Doe CAN access the calendar.

Now, this could be a problem if the safety training scores aren't automatically logged in Gingerfeet upon submission. I know that they are handled by a third party and manually entered in later.

I talked to a network engineer who said this whole thing may be possible if you set a flag in the cookies that opens up access to users who have met those two criteria. I don't know what that means, but maybe it would make sense on your end.

Or am I just making things more complicated?
awillis

Postby awillis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:54 pm

And how do we account for individuals who are already volunteers and for whom we already have information? Do we create user names for them?
awillis

Return to CiviCRM How To