I logged in, tested a form, and overwrote my contact record

Get your CiviCRM questions answered here!

I logged in, tested a form, and overwrote my contact record

Postby Conrad » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Hello All,

I wanted to create a form in CiviCRM. So I created the form, went to the front end (the Drupal website) and tested the form. And my contact record disappeared.

Yes, this actually happened to me.

My mistake? I did not log out.

Never test a CiviCRM form when you are logged in!

When you are logged in and use a CiviCRM form several things happen:
  1. CiviCRM knows that you are logged in
  2. CiviCRM knows your name
  3. CiviCRM knows you know your name
  4. CiviCRM knows that you want to change your name to the random name you are putting into the form
  5. so CiviCRM does just that, it changes your name

If this happens to you then you need to:
  1. Make sure you are logged in.
  2. Check that your contact record no longer exists by searching for your name
  3. Check that your contact record has been renamed to the new name by searching for the new name, and making sure that your particulars (phone number, email address, physical address, relationships, activities, groups, tags) are listed under the new name.
  4. Rename the contact record back to your name.

If you (Mr. Jake) filled in the form with the name of a person (Mrs. Blake) who already exists as a contact record, you need to be careful. Now it is not a random name. It is a 'real' name.

If this happens to you then the drill is slightly different:
  1. Make sure you are logged in.
  2. Check that your contact record (Mr. Jake) no longer exists by searching for your name (Mr. Jake)
  3. Check that your contact record has been renamed to the new name (Mrs. Blake) by searching for the new name, and making sure that your particulars (phone number, email address, physical address, tags, groups, relationships, activities) are listed under the new name (Mrs. Blake).
  4. Check that the real Mrs. Blake has her own contact record, and that her particulars (email, phone, address, activities, groups, tags, relationships) are correctly listed.
  5. Rename the your (Mrs. Blake) contact record back to your (Mr. Jake) name.

Do NOT try to solve this by creating a new contact record for yourself.

Creating a new contact record for yourself will get really messy, because you will have 2 contact records with information that belongs to you. A mess. Don't do it.

Well, actually it probably isn't that bad. So you created a new record for yourself...

You can merge the 2 records together.
CiviCRM -> Contacts -> Find and Merge Contacts.

In all of this, just pay attention to which contact record is which.

Cheers,
Conrad
Conrad
Site Admin

Return to CiviCRM How To